Come sit with us….

Hanging around in between my two son’s basketball games, not really sure where to place myself, a close friend of a friend walks past. I know this woman, we chat briefly, she asks what I am doing, I explain that I have an hour and a bit to kill – her response ‘come sit with us’ – the immediate relief I feel from this is palpable.
Dis.
Small moments of humanity at its best, that have such a huge effect. She will probably not remember this, but I will.
Thinking a lot about my teaching role next year and the culture I would like to co-establish in my classroom, I can think of no better slogan than – ‘come sit with us’. Everyone wants to belong, whether you are 11 or 43.
The what is answered, the how is a new, shared inquiry that I am so excited about.
I hope I’m lucky enough to have her daughter in my class next year.

3 thoughts on “Come sit with us….

1. Bec thanks for sharing. Welcoming others warmly is such a beautiful act of kindness – I too wonder what if all of our students, parents and colleagues invited and more importantly included others instinctively? I wonder how we could cultivate this culture? I know that this blog might just be the first step. X

2. Thanks Bec for sharing that the simplest acts of kindness can create that sense of belonging.

Looking forward to hearing from other too.

Mon

3. it won’t stop to amaze me how small things that “cost” nothing can affect someone else.
    Thank you for sharing.